Monday, July 28, 2008

Walking In Someone Else's Shoes


Meet Christopher Hansen, a.k.a. Bud, as his family called him. Christopher was like any other 12 year old boy. He enjoyed spending time with his dogs, Angel, Max and Buttercup and cheering for his favorite football team (sorry, I just can't write the words cheer and Dallas Cowboys next to each other - blah). From what his mom says, Christopher was always smiling and loved the outdoors. However, unlike other children, Christopher had Cerebral Palsy. Even though the doctors told his mom that he wouldn't be able to do anything, he proved them wrong day in and day out. Christopher passed away last Tuesday.

So, after reflecting on Christopher's life for a few days, I am not writing about a specific pair of shoes that I find appropriate for today's blog. Instead, I am writing about a little boy and his family - a little boy's determination to do what he was told he could not do; a family's strength and courage to help him do what was believed to be impossible and to be happy. The picture above shows Christopher's determination. Though it took him days of hard work and pain, he was finally was able to enjoy, like every other child, the joys of riding a bike. The expression in his face tells us all how happy he was at that moment.

Side bar: Christopher's mom, Heather, and I went to high school together. Though we haven't seen each other in years, in planning a high school reunion, we reconnected online last August and talk from time to time about this or the other.

For me, I had never attended a viewing or funeral for a child. And to be honest, I waffled back and forth about going. With the help of a couple of friends, I realized I had no choice. I needed to go - even if I could help out in some way with the logistics - Heather and her family needed all the support they could get.

As I walked up to the funeral home door, I did not know what to expect. Thankfully, the chapel was, um...more welcoming than any I had been in before and the modern music playing in the background helped alleviate some of my anxiety. Not seeing Heather, I sat in the back row, just watching everyone. I was scared to even walk towards the casket. I did not know how to act; what to say.

A slide show of pictures caught my eye. Watching these pictures, I saw a determined boy who loved to smile. However, then it hit me - like a ton of bricks - all the things that I take advantage of in everyday life. I think sometimes we forget about the little things. Watching the slide show reminded me of all of the little things that I have to be thankful for. So, thank you Christopher for reminding me to be thankful - all the time, as I have all a person should want for - my health, family and true friends.

So after talking with Heather and her family, I retreated off to the side. While sitting there, I realized something. What struck me even more than the pictures was the fact that even though he and his family were faced with such adversity, they able to find happiness. I overheard some of the conversations between friends, care givers, teachers and family members about Christopher and the happiness they found in being with him. I have to admit, I wondered why I had not found that happiness. What day of school did I miss when they taught how to be happy??? Why couldn't I seem to find feeling and hold on to it? But, that's a story for a different day.

Talking with Heather,
her mom, her family and friends, I realized that Christopher made them all truly happy and that each of them has been able to hold to it. Even at this time of loss for them, you could see their happiness coming through. Though they may not know it yet, I honestly believe that they have all started to heal. The fact that the happiness was able to be seen through such a time of sorrow was amazing. In some people you never see happiness even at the best of times, yet even in this situation, they were able to laugh and smile about their relationship with Christopher. So, thank you to each of you for making me think, making me reconsider things, and helping me to see and feel the happiness you got from raising Christopher. I consider it an honor to have been touched by Christopher's life.

Lastly, to you - Heather, Gayle, your girls, your family and friends - Put one foot in front of the other and go a little farther each day. Some days, you'll take big steps but other days, you will stumble. On those days, we will all be here to catch you, hold you up, and send you along the path the next day. That's what friends and family are for - we're through the good times and the bad.

2 comments:

Laura said...

It is amazing how something like this can snap things into perspective in a hurry. And I can completely relate to the hemming and hawing about even going to the service, but I think you did the right thing. You aren't supposed to bury children and seeing a child in a casket takes on this almost surreal quality. The brain doesn't register for a bit. I am glad they were able to find and share a joy in the celebration of his life on this day.

So, here's to your friends putting one foot in front of the other and to us, putting one foot in front of the other, as well. May we always pick each other up and brush each other off, offer encouragement and kindness rather than bitterness and spite and have the courage and perseverance to go the distance.

~L.

Debbie said...

thank you so much for the fresh perspective you've offered with this post.

and for the moving tribute of Christopher.